Social and Emotional Learning
This Social-emotional learning (SEL) curriculum teaches our students techniques to:
- Gain confidence
- Set goals
- Make better decisions
- Collaborate with others in work and play
- Navigate the world more effectively
Kimochis aim to allow schools to help kids (and adults) easily and quickly become more resilient and better cope with the challenges of modern life.
- Safe and non-threatening
- Tactile and visual rather than verbal
- Faster than traditional “talking therapy” methods
- Targeted curriculum for specific behavior and feelings to promote academic, social and emotional success.
- “Help kids feel happy, safe, confident, compassionate and successful.
- Help them establish and sustain strong friendships.
- Help kids get along with each other.
- Help them become resilient, especially during these trying times.”
For over 15 years, schools around the world have been using the original Zones of Regulation program as an empowering instructional tool to build safe, supportive environments that foster learning and well-being for all.
Students benefit from:
- Increased self-awareness and social and emotional skills
- A common language for communication, problem solving, and emotional understanding
- More time spent on learning instead of on behavior management
- A healthier, more inclusive school climate
Franklin Elementary School is proud to partner with Harper for Kids to teach our students important character traits from legendary UCLA Coach John Wooden’s Pyramid of Success and his definition of success for children which is: “Success is happiness in your heart because you made the effort, 100%, to do your best!”
Coach Wooden believed and taught that the most important responsibility each of us had to ourselves was to do everything we could to achieve our own potential. He offered his Pyramid of Success and his definition of Success as a guide, stepping stones to help young people understand what it really takes to make the effort – 100% – to fulfill their potential and do their best.
Each month, our students will focus on one or two character traits from Coach Wooden's Pyramid of Success. Classroom lessons will reinforce elements of the Pyramid of Success through readings of Coach Wooden’s children’s book, Inch and Miles: The Journey to Success and other integrated activities. Additionally, whole school assemblies will feature character traits from Coach Wooden’s Pyramid of Success.
Harper for Kids is a children’s nonprofit organization founded by Tim & Peanut Louie Harper. Harper for Kids mission is to to teach children important life skills that will empower them to achieve their personal best in life and to help schools incorporate Coach Wooden's Pyramid of Success into their character education.
We are excited about working with Harper for Kids to bring focused character education to our students. For more information about Harper for Kids and Coach Wooden’s Pyramid of Success, please visit their website: www.harperforkids.